Sunday, April 24, 2011

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Working at a bead store I'm used the the comment from customers "the beads look like candy!" or "I'm like a kid in a candy store!"  well if a bead store invokes the same joy an awe that makes a kids mouth water, Banaras Beads made me feel like a kid in a candy factory.  There were so... many... beads....!!!  the center of the factory was a spiral staircase with buckets of beads all along the walls, you look down ands see beads spiraling down and down. 

The room with the seed beads (the one's you see me choosing in the pictures) had shelves and shelves of colors, choosing the right colors was both overwhelming and exhilarating.I spent hours choosing colors and looking through the factory.  Then I put together a box of the beads I chose, took out the ones I needed for this trip, and sent the box off to Santa Cruz.  My housemates say it arrived safely a few days ago.  yippee!! 
And for all the Bead It girls reading I chose some lampwork beads to sell at Bead It, and sent them in the box, I hope they help with the buisiness of keeping the store happily running. 

Seeing the factory made me appreciate the work that goes into making beads even more.  There were people everywhere, sitting in long rows of tables stringing beads on thread, which is just the way beads are packaged for sale.  The strung beads are sent all over the world, sold in stores, and then jewelry makers cut the strands of beads so they can use them.  Its a strange process that makes it easier to see and buy the beads, but seems pointless now that I have seen the amount of work that goes into it.  It is hard to see that kind of back breaking (or should I say eye and hand breaking) labor and know that I am participating in it.  My hope is the Love and dedication I put into my work will somehow find its way back to these people.  To all the bead makers and stringers of the world.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And a special thank you to Lori for investing in my jewelry career, it means the world to me!

- Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment